Annual Spring Quilting Retreat
with guest teacher Kim Burke
of Golden Needle Quilting
"Based on the feedback received I'm going to tackle both paper piecing & Buggy Barn techniques. You can select your own pattern for either, however keep in mind that not all patterns are suitable for a beginner. Feel free to send me pictures or links with questions etc. Let the questions & feedback begin!" - Kim Burke
Join Kim's Facebook group discussions for this retreat at
#1-PAPER PIECING. Paper piecing can be very simple or very complex depending on what pattern you chose and how many pieces and their size. It can be wasteful as far as fabric but it also allows you crazy accuracy when applied correctly. Tools/supplies (beyond general supplies) There is a special little tool I prefer (under $10), pattern, paper for tracing or copying your pattern to, a post card or similar cardstock, a size 90 sharp needle. Estimated supply cost $20-ish. I think you'll have most of the supplies on hand or be able to use something else. For example the the add a quarter isn't a requirement but it works better then a plain ruler that some use in my opinion.
#2-BUGGY BARN. Most of us have already done Buggy Barn and quite a few stated they wouldn't mind doing it again. Once again I feel that some patterns are more complex then others. There is some fabric waste in the technique but I feel its minimal and far less then PP. Tools/supplies: pattern/book, freezer paper to trace your design to, pen or pencil to trace with (NOT a Frixion pen ) Estimated supply cost $20-30 for the book. I can bring freezer paper.
Join us at the Juan de Fuca Cottages in Sequim, Washington for three days and two nights of relaxing, companionship, laughter, and of course quilting! (All night if you want!)
Your complete package includes:
- 2 nights lodging – cottage/room (3-diamond rating) w/all bed/bath linens -
- private baths, whirlpool tubs, some fireplaces,
- and full kitchens – daily maid service!
- 5 meals (Saturday B/L/D and Sunday B/L)
- Friday night wine and cheese meet and greet
- instruction by guest quilting expert Kim Burke
- inviting quilting room in a brand new lodge with pine, cathedral ceilings, picture windows, a river rock fireplace and a full kitchen to use
- cutting stations and mats, irons and ironing stations, power strips, design wall space, excellent natural and artificial lighting
- each quilter has 1 table quilting space and chair
- one 15 minute massage on site included! (you can add more for $)
- optional field trip to local quilting store with 20% off coupon
- drawings and door prizes throughout the weekend
- all sales and lodging taxes included
Cost per person:
- $350 (double occupancy- own beds)
- $295 (triple occupancy – shared beds)
- $265 (quadruple occupancy – shared beds)
- $520 (single occupancy or bringing a non-sewing/non-eating companion for free!)
There is great golfing, biking, hiking,
kayaking, snowshoeing and fishing in the area
*Fabric, thread, etc. not included
** You can purchase more massage time at rate of $30.00 per 1/2 hr.
Check-in as early as 12pm on Friday. Checkout of room or cottage by 10am on Sunday but stay until 2pm in the Lodge quilting if you like!
Must Call to sign-up**Limited to first 16 participants**
7am – 9pm PST